Carbon Monoxide Awareness

As a mother of two young children, I am always wanting to keep my children safe and recently I have been thinking about how to protect ourselves from the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.  After reading that each year in the UK, 200 people are taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and about 40 people die, I felt quite shocked that these figures are so high.  So many families have gas appliances in their homes yet about one in six of them, inspected by the Gas Safe Register over the last three years, have been found to be unsafe.  More alarmingly, they also found that one in eleven have an unsafe boiler.

With this in mind, I think all families need to be aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.  When I stopped using my boiler to heat the house over the summer months, I hoped that the boiler would work again ready for the colder, winter months.  Carbon Monoxide dangers crossed my mind but then I thought nothing more of it as I had recently had my boiler checked by a Gas Safe gas engineer.  As Carbon Monoxide is odourless and colourless, I would have no way of telling if there was a problem with my boiler though.  I didn’t know the warning signs so if there had have been a problem, there would have been potential for a serious consequences.

I found a brilliant microsite from Corgi on how to help families become more aware of the potential dangers of some of the gas appliances in their homes.  As young children and the elderly are most at risk, this guide is a good reference for all homeowners about how to protect themselves and what to do if things go wrong.  One key way to protect yourself and your family from the dangers of Carbon Monoxide is to have a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector in your home.

Carbon Monoxide detector
Carbon Monoxide detector

Being an odourless, tasteless and colourless gas, it is easy to inhale it without knowing it.  Symptoms that you may feel if you do inhale the gas include; headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.  If you only experience these in your home, it could be that Carbon Monoxide is present and you should get your gas appliances checked out as a matter of urgency as well as going straight to the doctor to get yourself checked out.  There is more advice on the Corgi site.  By maintaining your gas appliances (cookers, heaters and boilers, for example) and by having a Carbon Monoxide detector in your home, you can keep yourself and your family safe from the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.

I think all families should have a Carbon Monoxide detector in much the same way as each household should have a fire alarm.  Do you have a CO detector in your home?

Carbon Monoxide Alarm - do you have one in your home?
Carbon Monoxide Alarm – do you have one in your home?

 

Disclaimer:  I was given a CO detector in return for writing this post.  All opinions are honest and my own.

  • Jen Walshaw

    We have CO detectors after we nearly died due to an incident with our boiler in our first home that was very nearly fatal!

    • Oh my goodness! I’m glad that you are all ok now though. How awful. I’d never be without a detector now. They are so important.

  • We have them in our house and as my OH is a paramedic sadly he has seen the effects and often deaths that can happen when you don’t have the alert of these essential detectors.

    • It is shocking that carbon monoxide poisoning seems more common than I imagined. You are right, these detectors are absolutely essential.

    • It is shocking that carbon monoxide poisoning seems more common than I imagined. You are right, these detectors are absolutely essential.

  • Gretta Schifano

    We do. My Mum used to work of the HSE and often told us of people who had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • That is awful that your Mum knew of so many people dying like this. Writing this post has really made me think about how important it is to take steps to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. I certainly won’t be without one again.

    • That is awful that your Mum knew of so many people dying like this. Writing this post has really made me think about how important it is to take steps to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. I certainly won’t be without one again.

  • I have one in my home and it a Great reassurance esp with small children

    • That’s great to hear. These detectors are so important yet I’m not sure everyone who has gas realises this.

    • That’s great to hear. These detectors are so important yet I’m not sure everyone who has gas realises this.

  • mummyoftwo

    We don’t have one as we don’t have gas, but I think they are a great idea.

    • They really are. Detectors are so important.

    • They really are. Detectors are so important.

  • Nayna Kanabar

    We have one of those carbon monoxide detectors for peace of mind.

    • That is great-they are so important.

    • That is great-they are so important.

  • Globalmouse

    My friend’s boyfriend died of carbon monoxide poisoning. I always have a detector in my home.

    • Oh no, I am very sorry to hear that. Writing this post and seeing the responses really has made me think. I hope that this post gets others to get a detector in their homes too.

    • Oh no, I am very sorry to hear that. Writing this post and seeing the responses really has made me think. I hope that this post gets others to get a detector in their homes too.

  • You Baby Me Mummy

    Oh this has made me feel bad, we have one but I have no idea where it is. I am going to find it x

    • I didn’t realise how important they were before writing this post. Hope you find it x

  • We dont have gas in our current home, but in my last home I had an alarm as it is so important to be aware of any problems.

  • Beautyqueenuk

    Such an important post, it really is something we need to know more about and understand x

  • emmaand3

    We have one after hearing horrible stories on the news about carbon poisioning. As you cannot detect the leak this is so important. We also take ours on holiday with us.

  • Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours

    What a great product. I might have to get one, this is a very scary scenario that I worry about. Thanks for highlighting it x

  • Helen Neale

    Thanks for sharing this – and making us all more aware. Carbon Monoxide is so dangerous and products like this help us to manage. Cheers,

  • Kara

    We have a carbon monoxide monitor – its a must have these days

  • Vaichin@RamblingThroughParenth

    I think I am going to invest in this device. Thanks for sharing.

  • beautykinguk

    Some advice I really needed to read again, it is something I never give too much thought too I have to say.