I have recently made a dairy free millionaire’s shortbread banoffee traybake for my #BloggersBakeAlong with the Great British Bake Off challenge, where I needed some dairy free condensed milk. I have not, as yet found any in the supermarkets near where I live so I thought that I would make my own. I was inspired by this Free Eats Food recipe.
- 1 tin of coconut milk (about 400ml)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- Place coconut milk and sugar into a saucepan. Heat on a medium setting for about 2 minutes. Whisk continuously.
- Once bubbling, reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- Leave to simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes.
- When the mixture is reduced by half, remove from the heat and cool in the fridge.
You can use this in all sorts of recipes from making caramel to mushroom soup to simply putting it in your coffee.